The primary planning objective of this recent master plan update was to create a 20-year development program that would maintain a safe, efficient, economical, and environmentally acceptable airport facility for Forsyth County. By achieving this objective, the document should provide guidance to satisfy the aviation demand in a financially feasible and responsible manner, while at the same time addressing the aviation, environmental, and socioeconomic issues of the community. In support of this goal, the following objectives were considered:
- Identifying the needed airside, landside, and airspace improvements and recommend options to further optimize the economic aspects of the airport while enhancing the safety and operational capability.
- Establishing an implementation schedule for short, intermediate, and long-term improvements and insure that they are financially feasible.
- Identifying short-term requirements and recommend actions to optimize short-term funding opportunities.
- Ensuring that short-term actions and recommendations do not preclude long-range planning options.
- Incorporating the interests of the public and government agencies into the planning process.
- Remaining sensitive to the overall environmental characteristics and needs of the area surrounding the airport.
- Incorporating current comprehensive land-use (both on- and off-airport property) and recommend developments that are compatible with existing and future land-uses.
On Tuesday, February 21, 2012, the Airport Commission of Forsyth County held a public information open house to learn about the Smith Reynolds Airport Master Plan Update. The Open House was advertised in the Winston-Salem Journal and on the Airport’s web page. Public participation was solicited without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, or disability. The meeting was held to give interested persons an opportunity to learn about the location, conceptual design social, economic, and environmental effects of the proposed improvements. Representatives from the airport and the project team were available to answer questions and to receive comments.
Master Plan Update
Chapter 1 Chapter 2
Airport Master plan update index of drawings